Monday, December 06, 2004

a house, or a castle in the skies?

Home is where the heart is.


Or so they say. I have this thing about houses and architecture okay? So I find myself sincerely pained when I see a house that no sane person could take pride in as their own. There it stands, a pitiful, run-down, sad symble of a thing of much nobler mettle.

I believe, and I hope that you will concur, that a house is a physical manifestation of a spiritual thing. It is the place where you abide--a place you come back to at the end of the day to kick off your shoes, relax and be. You are attached to this place, you love it. It is your--home. It should be a beautiful place--one that shows to the world your love for it.

So what kind of yahoo can have the nerve to think up and build the horrid and starkly ugly "homes" we see around us? I cringe every time I walk the streets of Lynden. The only thing that saves me from insanity is the few times when I catch a glimpse of euphoria. Like that perfect white colonial on Front street. Ahhh....

Perhaps I have been over-eloquent and bored you. I beg forgiveness and will write again when my humor is more suited to your taste.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

not bored in the least!
You make me want to tell you all about this house that I visited about a year ago. It's in Whatcom County, and it resembles one of the hobbit's houses on LOTR. It was so well kept up too.It wasn't a white colonial, but, my did it ever have character!...yeah, I'll have to tell you about it some time I guess :D

Mark said...

Was it last Sunday when you mentioned this "physical manifestation of a spiritual thing"...? I would dearly love to know what spiritual thing you refer to. As you will remember, I attempted to interpret it by asking if you meant that the house is a physical manifestation of the owner's soul--alas, but you told me that was not the intended meaning.

Yes there are some dorky looking houses out there. It's a cruel world isn't it :)

We'll have to look some of them over and decide just which ones you think are the most pitiful.

Mark said...

Time to post again :)