Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Falling...

...no, not in love.

You are struggling for a foothold
Your hands reach to grasp mere air
Your heart tells you to let go
But you fear the result of despair

Falling, falling, releasing
The demon with reckless abandon
Eyes glaze in total surrender
Drenched in sin, you grieve but cannot shun

Will no one save you from yourself?
You feel it would be useless to try
A cry comes forth from the depths of your soul:
"Oh help God, send reply!"

Falling, falling, will God forgive?
You have no other hope--
He reaches with scarred hands to catch
You are saved from this wretched slope


Discover new strength in temptation, and praise the Lord!

Note: this was written out of faith as well as personal experience. I originally wrote it in the first person, but changed it for publication.

16 comments:

Joshua said...

Powerful.

gr@ce said...

I'm glad you're not falling in love=)

Anonymous said...

That is a very wonderfully written poem Beka.
I feel the first two lines especialy right now in my life. I just hope the next two are soon in coming.

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Excellent.

Wow.

I agree with Joshua.

gr@ce said...

Yes, I don't want to be the last to know either=)

Anonymous said...

Awww, c'mon. Someone's gotta be last. Beka, I would be honored to be the last to know. =P

Rebekah said...

Oh brother! I knew I shouldn't have made that ridiculous crack. Silly me!

Thanks everyone for your votes of confidence. Sometimes I find myself just whipping poetry out of my head without really thinking about it. I'm not so very pround of those times, but this one truly came from "the depths of my soul."

Anonymous said...

Wow that poem very... I can't seem to find the words to discribe it.
It was wonderful and very moving.

~Gloria

P.S. If you want to fall in love I have a good match for you!! :)

gr@ce said...

What match??!!

Rebekah said...

1st CRC @ 7:00 right? Cassie told me at the choir concert. That should be marvelous--I'll try and get there...maybe bring some family along as well...

Rebekah said...

Don't even start with me Gracie!

gr@ce said...

What? Who?

CelloChic said...

The fourth section (esp. the third line) is wonderful, Bek. You put such soul into your poems.

Gloria said...

Guess what Beka?? I have a blog now!!! Gloria

Rebekah said...

Thank you Erin, that was such a lovely thing to say about my poems! Soul is a wonderful word. I am deeply gratified--if I recall correctly, you used to dabble a bit with poetry yourself once upon a time. Doing it anymore?

gr@ce said...

When you do...will you actually post it on your blog?