Thursday, February 16, 2006

The question of college

To go or not to go...

...that seems to be the question among many Christians today. Should Christian youth, seeking to serve God and know His will for their lives, even consider attending universities in this corrupted, secular world? I have been running into this question repeatedly, and I think it is one that needs to be addressed by all. My decision to post on this subject was aided when I came across a post by a young woman named Meg whose aquaintance I have never had the pleasure of making! Visit her post here to read my inspiration. You will find it dated Tuesday, January 24, 2006.

I am a student at Whatcom Community College. I am attending this school because I believe God would have me excell in knowledge and the ability to discern truth, not to mention the ability to communicate effectively. College seemed to me to be the most logical place for a person such as I--on the verge of exiting the academic realm (if it is permissable to use such lofty terms for high school)--to pursue these goals.

The realization that college certainly in not for everyone, and that many have successfully lived productive, God-honoring lives without it, has made itself clear to me. However, I would like to challenge those persons who are afraid to set foot in the door of a college classroom for fear of contamination to rethink their stance. Many seem afraid that to analyze, consider, and learn the beliefs of others will cause them to be confused about their own--perhaps even cause them to abandon their own. I reply: this is a fearful and, dare I say it, lazy attitude. If competency among Christian youth in the area of apologetics is lacking, then perhaps we should be focusing inward at our own spiritual dullness. Istead of shutting ourselves off from the world, perhaps we should be prying the bushel from off the top of the light, stoking the flame into renewed brightness, and showing it for all the world to see.

Speaking of lights: college for me is a daily mental, and spiritual excersize in doing just that--shining my light. College to me is not a place of stagnant, shortsighted acceptance of all things socially acceptable. College is not to me a time of falling away, but a time of strengthening. How can one be "in the world, but not of the world" if one refuses to confront the world? All my life I have lived in a wonderful, nurturing, Christian atmosphere. I have had a Christian home, with a Godly mother who undertook my early education. I have had a strong, Bible-believing church, and of course, Christian friends. Now, while still reserving the comfort, shelter, and guidance of these strongholds, I have ventured out into "the great beyond." At last, I am challenged to manifest Christ as I have never been challenged before. I ask myself the question daily, "Do they see Christ in me? How am I different from my classmates, instructors, peers?"

I realize that my arguments thus far have been based around my own personal fallible experience. I also know for a certainty that many who read this will have very different stories to tell regarding this subject. However, I believe that college is in many respects, a truly missunderstood concept among devout people. I merely seek to incite discussion. Therefore, do not hesitate to make your voice heard!

As a commentator on the previously mentioned blog posting explained,

"I think attending college can also be a means to strengthen our faith, and it gives us an opportunity to realize why we believe what it is that we believe. I'm not saying we need to purposefully surround ourselves with temptations on all sides, but we need to know where we stand. We are told to be in the world yet not of it, and I think a lot of times Christians shut themselves off so much from the world, to the point where they and their children become naive about it's realities. At the same time we are called to be light, but how can we let our light shine if we shut ourselves up all the time? This is just a thought, but maybe part of the reason college campuses are so anti-Christian is because we haven't done our part in getting out and speaking out? Of course if we withdraw compeletely from the college campus, it is going to be swimming in a swamp of ugly, worldy ideas with no answers and no direction."


Cassie--this may sound cliche, sorry--you literaly repeated some of the exact points I made when discussing this issue with a friend no more than three days ago! Thank you for your concise eloquence!

12 comments:

Gloria said...

I am at this moment debating whether or not I want to go to college. But not for the reasons that you have written in this post. Never the less I found this be very thought provoking.

Crystal said...

Interesting post. I have had this very same discussion with lots of people in the past and came to the same conclusion. Though we must not forget that colleges can be very dangerous and caluculated to cause doubt in the minds of young christians who are for the first time away from their parents direction. I wouldn't be quite ready to jump in with both feet and say, "Oh college is safe, just go there and be yourself and you will be fine." It's not quite that simple in many respects. It's different than a work setting because many college students are living a much more carefree, less restrictive life, experiementing with lots of things and trying out their new freedom for better or worse. If you are not well grounded and keeping your connection with the Lord strong it is easy to get carried away even in small things that can be dangerous to your spiritual health.
Right now I am trying to decide if I want to leave the secular college scene next year and try a christian college. I have done the secular college scene several times already at various times and for various reasons (I got the certificates or degrees I was going for each time) but this time I am thinking of trying something new. I know that is probably won't be nearly as perfect as some would make it would to be but I am praying about giving it a try and seeing how different it is. I will be interested to see what others have to say about this topic.
By the way I'll be back at WCC next quater so maybe I'll see you around the campus sometime.

CelloChic said...

OOooo...we need to have a college chat w/you again. Miss those. God shows each the right path if we seek His interests and make them our own.
Chosing is difficult, because in many cases, it is not a question of what is right and wrong, but what is wise.

Joshua said...

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven..." (Eccl. 3:1)

A time for incubation,
and a time for proclamation;
A time to learn,
and a time to practice.

That is my opinion. This is why I firmly believe in homeschooling, yet also think there usually should be some time spent in schools.

University can be dangerous. Four years in a secular institution is tiring and will influence a Christian in some ways. But it can also be an unparalleled opportunity to see the faithfulness of God in action every day and grow in Him.

In my life switching things up has been important so that I can be discipled, then witness, back and forth:
3 years - secular @ Whatcom & BTC
3 years - Christian @ LeTourneau (now)
3 years - secular @ ?

How do you think Christian Colleges play into this?

"To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning." (Daniel 1:17a)

Rebekah said...

Interesting Joshua. As to Christian colleges:

As you know, I am currently considering finishing my degree in a Christian college. My thoughts on the subject have been both sad, excited, eager, and apprehensive. I ask myself, "will I have been so saturated with popular/secular philosiphy by the time I reach Christian college, that I am completely incompetent in its blessedly orthodox classrooms?" or "will I be spiritual and persuasive midget by the time etc.?" These thoughts disturb me. Allot. After having to constantly battle my way through college previously, I am afraid that I will not be up to the task to take the thinking any deeper than defence. Will I be able to go on to offence?

The above paragraph was pretty dense, I apologise. I am not extremely certain that it was at all comprehensible.

Joshua said...

Rebekah, I think you will be more prepared than ever for a Christian college. Your 'saturation' in secular philosophy will be a negative influence in your Christian walk. Yet your daily dependance on God will deepen your relationship with Him.

Now that you have been on the defense, you are prepared to go on the offense. You now have firsthand knowledge of the other team's strategy and beliefs - now you need to step back and evaluate them and see where the strengths and weaknesses are - then respond!

That may not be at a Christian college though! Perhaps God has a time for you to do that over the summer and then get involved in a Christian group on campus or finish with University and respond in the workplace...I think it would be great if you went to a Christian University - but only if that is what God has for you. I would also be careful not to revere Christian colleges as the end all and be all. I absolutely love LeTourneau and *most* of my professors ;) - but it isn't heaven by any stretch of the imagination (just taste the food! ;).

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth Bailey says: Great post! Good thinking! :) I agree that Christians should not be afraid to "venture out" into the world, but should engage it and be the salt that we aspire to be.

Anonymous said...

Here I am, a late to discussion as usual :) and little remains to be said. To add a different perspective (my parents, to be specific), secular college is a dangerous place. As Crystal and Joshua pointed out, in it the devil surrounds and seeks to engulf Christians. As well as much secular doctrine, many courses include sinful and objectionable content. --And what goes into the mind often stays.
Dangerous, definitely. But as my own experience points out, it is challenging and rewarding as well. Keep it up, hope the rest of your year goes smoothly

hopeful said...

". . . in many cases it is not a question of what is right and wrong, but what is wise."

I need to remember that. So true, and so wise! And coming from one so young! So much for the theory that wisdom comes with age and teenagers don't know anything (I have read the Bible too much to believe that theory anyway . . . "the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom" and "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation" Pro. 9:10 and Ps. 119:99)

As for college, I think:
1. Christians should generally attend Christian colleges, but there are exceptions. Very young and very vulnurable Christians especially should choose Christian colleges.
2. Christian colleges have their dangers too. Not all Christian colleges are well supplied with Godly teachers, true teaching, right principles, and upright students. Even those that are, well, they're not perfect!
3. Community colleges are a totally different matter from regular seculer colleges and universities because (A) you can live at home while attending them and (B) the mindset of the student body as a whole is likly to be different--they're more likely to take it seriously (you can't really go to a community college just to party and attendance at a community college can't be just a status symbol for the parents).
4. It depends on what you are studying. Math is math, but as my English Literature professor said in reference to the secular understanding of a certain piece of Christian literature (Milton, "Paradise Lost"), "they just don't get it." That could be said about a lot of things. Personally, I found the piece a bit weird, but at least I didn't conclude that Milton meant the Devil to be the hero in the story! If you are going to study literature, do so at a good Christian college. "The world" doesn't understand or appreciate so much of the really good stuff and it revels in and elevates the filth. LOL This is almost trying to become an essay. What are you studying, by the way?

Crystal said...

Good thoughts everyone. I have really enjoyed reading everyones thoughts on this topic. I had to laugh that you chose to pick lit as an example in your post Hopeful because Rebekah is planning on majoring in english last time I talked to her...is that still the case Beka? I really liked the point about not what is wrong or right because both could be ok but what is wise...very good to remember.

Kristi said...

I'm not going to add a vehement opinion on the matter at this point. I guess I just feel like sharing two vivid pictures/memories that come to my mind when I think of my journey through a secular nursing program:
-Secular nursing school was overwhelming libral at times--especially when it came to the sex ed and psychology courses. It was discouraging and "hopeless" at times; In fact, I can even remember crying out in desperation to God to protect me and hide me in Him when the courses were particulary oppressing.
-But the Christian fellowship was all the sweeter, God was ever so faithful, and I learned like never before, what it meant to "Cast all Your Anxieties Upon Him."
The secular/libral jargon and friends DID shake me up at times, but God's grace was sufficient and I believe I learned to trust Him in a way that I never had before. I was pushed closer than ever to that humble place where the saints cry out for mercy and grace in time of need. The grace was there (in abundance!) and I did not suffer want! I am confident it will be there for you too!

Sarah said...

I read this post quite some time ago, but failed to write the comments I was thinking about at the time, but I've wandered back since then and enjoyed re-reading the post and comments that followed.
I considered going to a Christian college and ruled it out for a couple reasons: a) Money (was probably the biggest one; no matter what, it's almost always more expensive to go to a Christian college), b) There aren't all that many Christian schools in the area with a speech therapy program, and c) I thought it was time to branch out of the small and protected world that the Lord God had graciously placed me in for my childhood and learn to live my faith in a really practical and evangelistic way.
I think young adults must remember this: There are opportunties for ministry to nonbelievers at both Christian and secular schools. There are also abundant opportunities to stumble and fall in both and any circumstance we are placed in. There were times that I thought it would be lovely to be attending a Christian college, because I'd receive a more Biblical standpoint of teaching. But I think about the trials and the way the Lord used my attendance in non-Christian classrooms to refine my faith and teach me to really KNOW what I believe and why I believe it.
Would I have had that at a Christian school? Probably, though maybe in a different way. Would it have been possible for me to stumble and fall into even intellectual sin at a Christian school? Sure.
Secular schools are not simply breeding grounds for sin and foolishness- there is also much light and life within the darkness, and a mentality of avoidance from the Christian community is generally (I think)wrong. I don't see anywhere in Paul's letters to the early church a recommendation to cloister oneself as a community in our little "safe" Christian nests.