Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Melissa Sweet

Once upon a time
In a land where life is rhyme
Where breezes traverse
In the manner of verse
And dew-drops ever long
To be singing in their song
There lived a young maiden
With blessings full-laden
Her name was Melissa Sweet

Often in the summer glow
Her vassals saw her row
Down in the river
That ripples so clever
And trips with prideful notion
Far down to the ocean
Down from her bower
Above in a tower
Would row Melissa Sweet

Some called her foolish
Some rhymed her ghoulish
Because of her wishing
Down to go fishing
There in the sunlight
And even in moonlight
But those who knew her
Could do ought but woo her--
The fair Melissa Sweet

The tawdies who tattled
And through their teeth rattled
Would have been better
If they saw a letter
A writing in rhyme
Which told of the climb
The climb m'lady had ventured
Merely to visit the indentured
Outside the castle of Melissa Sweet

There was one thing however:
The thought of a lover
That caused her heart pain
Even causing the rain
To cry on that land
Where all was so grand
For long, long ago
When down in the lilies low
Rowed Melissa Sweet

She met a bold prince
Who, pausing to rinse
Had dipped in her pond
Of which she was fond
With just but one glance
She was caught in a trance
And never thereafter
Was heard the gay laughter
Or the smile of Melissa Sweet

Mayhap if you wander
Out in the wide yonder
You may see a fair maiden
With blessings full-laden
And grant her a wish:
That she may forever fish
Free of a bold prince
Who, pausing to rinse
Stole the smile of Melissa Sweet

Inspiration: Tennyson and Poe. Don't ask.

9 comments:

Joshua said...

Alright, I shan't ask how on earth Poe could have inspired this, in fact I won't even mention it.

Methinks if there were illustrations to accompany this it could pretty much be published. Nice.

Mike said...

Because of how you are, I would assume that some recent happening in your busy life must have inspired this poetic string.

Rebekah said...

Come, come Joshua. The beautiful "Annabell Lee" has helped me. Also the apparent mystery of this poem's meaning and creation should smack most heartily of Poe. Perhaps.

Because of how I am Michael? Do tell: how am I? :)

Rebekah said...

P.S. Joshua--what a fine compliment! I have not as yet aspired to the lofty heights of "publishibility." Someday I hope I shall be able to produce fine enough literature for world consumers.

Mike said...

Its good to strive for the "lofty heights" of life. I also strive for some "lofty heights" of my own, of which some say is impossible to attain.

As to explaining how you are..... That is a subject far to big and delicate for me to even begin.

Gloria said...

I love the poem "Annebell Lee." It is so sad yet sweet at the sametime. I would agree with Joshua. You should get this published or something.

Joshua said...

Unfortunately, I had only been acquainted with the darker side of Poe. Now I have read Annebell Lee and can clearly see from where your inspiration be.

Touche.

Rebekah said...

:)

Neill said...

Rebekah,

Very nice! Is the Tennyson influence The Lady of Shalott? It's one of my favorite poems (and of Loreena McKennitt's songs), and I have a poster of the Waterhouse painting on my bedroom wall.

The way you have tongue firmly in cheek is pretty cool, too. :-)

Peace,
Neill