Thursday, July 20, 2006

The entrance of Kenton

Another entry in my Auntie Book:

Kenton Douglas Miller
July 14, 2006
9 pounds
20 1/2 inches

Anxiety excitement, longing. The feeling of doom or expectation--like the stale quiet before a storm. A fateful Rook game that never was. A fateful mixed drink the existence of which unfortunately could not be doubted or denied. Torn between duty and an unnamed desire to know, to see, to feel. A long, hot day. The sun bearing down on a playground that served as the necessary distraction. The sun was to serve as a metaphor of a woman bearing down determinedly--giving a child safe passage--birth.

Two children: One wants a pink baby, the other no doubt would have chosen a blue one if he had been asked. They both were granted their wish. Kenton was blue, then he was pink. His mother objects to "Kenny." So do I. I shall call him Mr. Kenton for now. The baby sceams--no, he screaches. But he looks so sweet when he is sleeping. Long fingers, deep nail beds--manifestations of our Kenton. He is long all over.

7 comments:

Cassi said...

Congratulations ! i LOVE new babies! well, all types of babies too.

Joshua said...

An Auntie times, oh, I don't even know how many nieces and nephews you now have, but I'm excited that you have a new nephew...the three of them are adorable.

Blue? Were there complications? I can only imagine how hard it must have been to be trying to occupy the other two during the whole time. Was it a home birth?

Congratulations!

Gloria said...

Yah your an Aunt again!! Congratulations!

Mike said...

I have similar thoughts towards you and new Mr. Kenton.

Crystal said...

Congratulations to all. Did your mom make it in time for this one? He is darling of course! I agree, stay away from Kenny. I don't like it, I don't!

Anonymous said...

Mom was most definitely there!! :) I have returned (Monday) from NY...wishing for more time with all of them, including Beka. However I do have more grandchildren coming from the south and arriving today, so I look forward to more fun times with grandbabies! ;)......but...NY can have their weather! Strange, it appears to have come this way a bit--humidity, I mean.
"Mom"

Crystal said...

"Mom" I glad you got to be there. I agree about the weather. It is really quite aweful back there this time of year. We spent enough summers there to know and I will take our little bit of humidity anyday with no complaints. I am happy to know you made it over and back safefully and that all went well for the enterance of this little one.