Wednesday, January 31, 2007

In the Spirit on the Lord's Day

"Day of all the week the best, emblem of eternal rest."

Heads are bowed, hands are folded. The body is at rest, the soul has taken flight. At last the week full of sin is over. The week full of labor has ceased. At last this frail being has found rest once more on the Lord's Day. Pure rest, from the inside out. Was there ever a delight as glorious as this? Was there ever a joy to equal mine today?

"My soul magnifies the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."

Such quiet joy this is. Such gentle peace. We sit, we pray, we stand, we sing. We listen. But most of all, we worship. Our hearts are open and being filled to the brim with new measures of understanding. Understanding of the grace of Christ our Lord. When our heads rest again tonight, we will say, "I have met with God today. I have walked with Him in the cool of the day."

"Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy."

I can't shake the conviction that one of God's greatest gifts to His church is the Sabbath. But then, I don't want to. The Lord's Day is not only a "perk," but also absolutely necessary. Mandatory. Commanded. Beautiful.

"Be still and know that I am God."

We are human--we need to rest and bless the Lord for His gift. What an incredible thing it is to be still. To stop everything and quietly be filled up by God.

"Thus may all our Sabbaths prove till we join the church above."

6 comments:

Little Wolf said...

That was beautiful Rebekah! You made me feel very at peace! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks Beks. I'm going to link to this one, if I may. It reminded me of a need of rest beyond "down time". A rest that fills.

Gloria said...

That was so... touching in a peacful sort of way. Though has it ever frustrated you as you walk into another week of sins and mistakes that you'll never get quite right? Sometimes I feel like banging my head into the wall. But thats why I think God made Sunday.

Rebekah said...

Yes Gloria, of course I do. :) But I can go forward without looking back with regrets because God has purposed all things for good. Remember, His strength is made perfect in our weakness!

So continue to bless God for the Lord's Day, and don't look back (remember grace instead). And do save the walls (and your head). I love you my dear.

Janel said...

That was very well put Rebakah. Very peaceful. I've enjoyed talking about the importance of the sabath with you-this gift that God has given to His people.

Krista said...

Wow...wish I could write like that...