Wednesday, January 19, 2005

lovely ones

What a balmy day it has been! A zephyre-like wind is blowing wildy for joy--triumphant at its escape from the bitter and resentful cold. The warmth is at last seeping into my bones and giving a Spring to my step.

I stepped out of my tutor's house at 3 o'clock this afternoon as usual. The wind was blowing impossibly warm air in my face, and I had just decided that it was a beautiful day. Judy and I said our farewells, and then I turned and started toward the sidewalk. I was a little put out of countenance when I saw that there was someone walking past just at that moment.

Balderdash.

I saw that it was an elderly lady and feared that I would have to take a painfully slow pace behind her all the way to the Library. But nothing could dampen my spirits on this day, so I smiled cherrily and said, "Hello!" She smiled back at me and when I would have taken my place behind her, she slowed, turned and said, "Are you homeschooled?" in a friendly voice.

I was surprised by her friendly interest and still more surprised at the energetic pace she was taking down the street. We talked pleasantly for several blocks, she asking me about my schooling, and remarking about the weather and such. I noticed a neat and elegant little accent in her voice that I couldn't quite identify. She must have been seventy at least and had beautiful snowy, silver hair. I think if I had to use one word to describe her I would say simply: lovely. After about three blocks, a light sprinkle suddenly began to fall on us, and she turned back. I wonder if she knew that she made my day.

What precious treasures are waiting just around the corner of every day! I can't help but think how God must make even such chance meetings come to pass for very specific purposes in His perfect plan. Its simply thrilling!

No comments: