Wednesday, February 02, 2005

-simple pleasures-

Well, maybe its a silly pleasure.

But if you were 17 and had waited ALL you life for this one very trivial delight, then you would be excited too.

Its a tradition in my family for all the girls to have their ears pierced on their seventeenth birthday. It all started with my oldest sister Rachel--actually I should say it was Sarah's idea.

It was fourteen years ago and Rachel was turning seventeen. Before this time nobody in my family had really thought about ear piercing or anything else piercing. But my second sister Sarah, in a fit of sisterly affection, decided it was time to work her wily ways on my mother and succeeded in convincing her to allow Rachel to have the deed done. Of course that meant the Sarah could do it the very next year...

And so it has remained from that time forward--once the precident had been set, ALL the Reimers girls simply HAD to do it. And ever since then and all my life I have looked forward to that glorious day when I at last would cross the border into pierced existance.

But as you all know, my birthday was three months ago now. So of course you must be quite curious to know why in the world I haven't gone for it yet. Well, one of my boon companions is my cousin, Jenna and her family has set the piercing date for sixteen. And since waiting only a few months would allow me to share this momentous occasion with her, I couldn't resist (besides, we had planned to do it that way since we were BABES).

So now I have but a few more days to wait until my moment comes, and the needle plunges through my time-prepared earlobe. No, I'm not nervous. Who said anything about being nervous?

5 comments:

Kristi said...

How fun.
Now whatever you and Jenna do, don't pierce your ears yourselves (like I did and they came out slightly crooked). I am sure you and Jenna would never think of such a thing. Now Sara might do such a thing, but not Jenna ;)
(JUST KIDDING Sara!-in case you are reading this).

Anonymous said...

Haha Kristi. I don't intend to pierce my ears myself, but I can definantly see you doing yours.
By the way....How are your keys these days??????? (snicker)

Sara

Anonymous said...

Hey Beka,
Good luck on you and J's momentous time!!

Sara

Anonymous said...

Hey Beka,
I was just wondering, are you going to post a pic of your pierced ears on this site? jk. How do you like piercedhood?

Rebekah said...

Thanks for the felicitations my friends! Yes I am enjoying piercedhood very much! Watch for the lodown (sp?) on the event in my next post! *giggle*