Wednesday, March 23, 2005

"...deeds of love and mercy..."

"He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"
Micah 6:8

These words have been copied from God's Word and printed on a simple sheet of printing paper. It hangs on a bulletin board for all to see. My mother put it there--this is just one out of many deeds of love bestowed on us, her children. There it is, right next to our computer, reminding us like a beacon through the fog of essays, papers, email, and yes--blogging, of the simple, beautiful duty of each of us servants of the Master. It never ceases to fulfill it's purpose, for every time I sit at this desk, it speaks to me with compelling arguments.

"He has shown you, O man, what is good...". What more do I need? What more can be said? There it is, shining brightly from a few little words. No matter the questions to be asked, or the complexity of future choices, this stands strong and clear. It is strange how words that have no meaning on their own, can be brought together and weaved to create such wisdom.

This epistle would be more lengthy if it weren't for the sad fact that I must not be on the computer longer than fifteen minutes--Mark's orders. I have already exceeded my limit. We have to be careful of the hard drive you see, don't want it crashing on us--again.

6 comments:

Kristi said...

When I was really little my Dad used to "sing" Micah 6:8 to us (yes, that verse has been put to a little tune), and soon we all learned to sing it! It's such an awesome verse--so very appropriate to be reminded of its' truth throughout our busy days.

Hope the computer starts feeling better soon :( Maybe it needs some antibiotics ;) (jk)

Mark said...

Well...maybe fifteen minutes was a little short. :)

I think this computer likes the blogging idea so you probably aren't hurting anything.

KatzeMeg said...

I know the Micah 6:8 song! I learned it in my youth group a few years back. It was a favorite of one of our leaders, whom I greatly esteem. I still love it. The verse is wonderful; it is a simple reminder of God's requirment from us, especially when we don't know what he wants or we complicate things with our own desires and ambitions. it is amazing how simply glancing at a piece if paper with God's word on it, whether on a buliten board or (in our case) a refrigerator can turn someones thoughts back to God. We have James 1:5, "If any of you lacks wisdom, ask God, who gives generously to all."

Justin C. said...

That is a great verse. Hey Kristi, I see that a computer is feeling a little under the weather. May I suggest an Anti-"Virus":)

Rebekah said...

Thanks for all the comments peoples! Mucho appreciated. I would love to hear the song some time--Kristi I think the task must fall on you to enlighten me...

CelloChic said...

HEY! BEK! New post? Please?
Arg. I just rememebered...I was supposed to write that article over Spring Break...I am such a naughty girl.