Saturday, April 02, 2005

Fred the brave and true

I would like to say at the outset of this post that the only reason that I discovered Fred in the first place was to entertain a six-year-old child with similar fantasies. It worked. Now I seek to entertain you.


Fred is my friend. He has brown hair like me, he is short like me, and the only difference between the two of us is that his eyes are a warm shade of brown (not to mention the difference in gender). Fred is at my side constantly and has strong opinions on many aspects of my daily life. I like to think of him as my twin brother--you see I couldn't get away from him even if I wanted to, and nor could he, seeing as we're connected at the hip.

When I first became aware of Fred's existence, he was greatly persecuted by a good friend of mine, who quite frankly should have known better. Poor Fred, to have been ignored for the first seventeen years of his life, and then having at last emerged from obscurity, only to be scoffed at by such a person. But enough said on that subject, I have since forgiven this good friend of mine because she has provided a companion for my dear Fred. Yes, she at last surrendered to the truth--her good sense has finally triumphed over her synicism and Fred has met his bosom friend...Timmy.

Timmy is connected to my friend at the hip and therefore, he and Fred have become "kindred spirits" so to speak. But that is neither here nor there--I must tell my story, or should I say, Fred's. Fred loves sushi, algebra, hockey, buz cuts (which I absolutely will not allow), thinks that Tennyson and Shakespeare stink, and generally hates all my loves, and loves all my hates. But then, what are little bros for? Nevertheless, he is extreemly loyal and very attached to me (no pun intended) his devoted and loving twin. This is a very natural feeling for him to have seeing as he owes his very existance to my extreemly well cultivated imagination.

And now at last I get down to the wire. Yes, I must aknowledge that Fred exists chiefly in my own curious mind. I say chiefly because I know a very cute little six-year-old girl who has unshakable faith in Fred. And now you may return to your daily activities knowing for a fact what you have suspected all along--that Rebekah the blogger is just a little dotty.

I must apologize if this post is a trifle immature. You see in the face of many unhappy and sometimes disturbing events occuring in our world today, I find relief and great enjoyment by escaping to a wonderful world of make-believe. It is a lovely world of creativity and imagination. And I wouldn't part with it for any amount of common sense. I hope you have enjoyed this brief journey with me. Come again!

15 comments:

La*Oriente said...

Just a little dotty? lol

Rebekah said...

Well you DID know that didn't you?

CelloChic said...

Oh, I remeber Fred. What a jolly old chap he was. Didn't he go to the symphony with us that one time? He sat in the front with Mark, remember? Oh, and Sara and I rememeber playing soccer with Timmy while you were still in CA.

Kristi said...

Oh my! Fred and Timmy sound absolutely delightful..hmmmm...I wonder if they would get along with Rosie?
Anyhow, do give both of your little brothers my sincerest greetings.

Rebekah said...

Well actually Erin, I think I just have a thing about the name Fred--because I didn't even think about "my date to the symphony Fred" when I wrote this...

Its just like every time I make up an imaginary person like that, his name ends up being Fred!! That's so weird...I suppose Fred has been with me all my life--its just that now he has finally broken into my awareness so to speak. Hmmm...have to think about this one.

Rebekah said...

Oh, yes Kristi! Fred and Rosie most definately MUST meet. They would have a blast together!Hmmmm...when can we arrange it?

CelloChic said...

OH NO Rebekah, Fred just drove with us...the 'Phantom of the Symphony' just melted you in his passing aroma. You didn't even catch his name...silly you.

Rebekah said...

Yes, I was shockingly remiss in contriving an introduction wasn't I? But it did make for a more credible story to pour into my cousins willing and receptive ears...=D

Rebekah said...

That's all right Tasha, I made it kinda hard on purpose...I'm heartless aren't I? I know what you mean about the buz cuts--I won't let Fred get one. He has very nice hair actually. Thanks to me.

sarah said...

Hey sis, just took your quiz - I only missed one... however, I should correct you: you are coming to NY for two months. We are moving to Long Island in May. Are you still going to come? *smile*

Mark said...

Oh bother!

Just that one. I think that last question was a little weird :P

I may take my revenge with a quiz of my own....that would be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Rebekah, I think it's marvelous that you have an imaginary friend. Everyone should be so lucky. :)
I took your quiz, but I only got a 75%. Guess that means I'm going to have to get to know you better. Would you still like to go hiking sometime?

Rebekah said...

Absolutely Kat! That would be marvelous--when? =)

Anna said...

Beka! What is this I keep reading about a quiz that you had? I never got a chance to take it! Don't I count :(

Rebekah said...

Anna dahling--it was linked to my blog for a while. I'm afraid its all gone now...so sorry. =(