Monday, September 19, 2005

Goodness!

Life is good.

Now, I know how debatable that statement is, but I truly have a firm belief in the goodness of life. Now I realize that there is "none good, no not one", and I also am aware that this world is full of sin and evil. I am made more aware of that tragic fact every day of my life as I struggle against temptation. I don't have to mention the sorts of things you hear every time you turn on the news.

My validation, my proof, my confidence that life is good stems from one unbreakable truth:

God is good. He is the essence of "good". He is the epitome of righteousness, holiness, justice, love. He is the only one who possesses these attributes perfectly.

Because He is good, he created a good world. And it is still good, even after the taint of sin. The rain still falls in torrents, the sun still dazzles with every rise and set, the moon is still romantic as it bathes us in silver light. If that is not sufficient proof, consider this:

The beauty of Christian fellowship as we gather for worship each Sunday, relationships full of love and commitment, the ability of the human mind to study, to learn, to excel, the cry of a new-born child into this world, honest labor, the glory of the seasons, the alarm clock that awakens you insistantly each morning, food, individuality, humor that sends you to the floor gasping for air, the richness of time spent in God's Word, times when we pour out our souls to Him in the closet...I could continue this list all day...

All of these things are good, and beautiful, and we revel in the rich joy of it all every day of our blessed lives. And there is one reason for it all. God gave us these things to show us His goodness. God created man to enjoy Him. And in all these things we ought to be recognising that fact. We ought to be enjoying Him. This is such a glorious thought, could it get any better? But it does.

I heard an illustration taken from Spurgeon this summer, my newest brother used it in a sermon. No doubt I am paraphrasing:

An old, pitiful, pauper of a woman, huddled in a corner with a little crust of bread, and she is saying rapturously, "I have Christ, and all this too!" That is enjoying God. And if we don't say that after surveying all the richness of our lives (see above), we're some poor excuse for Christians. We have Christ, because His love is so great, that He gave Himself up so that He could save this world full of base, cruel-hearted people (us). This is so glorious!

In view of all these things, it needs to be said, that our good lives should be reminding us hourly of the love of Christ, of His goodness, and consequently we can enjoy Him in everything. You know as in, "Hallelujah!". We have Christ, and all this too. Ayyymen!!

This is so exciting, it fuels my life, my motivation, me!

8 comments:

Joshua said...

That is so true!
I am right now so blessed because last night I truly felt a part of my new church family. Keyword being 'family'.
It is hard moving to a new church and my dad not being the pastor, how odd it seems. But as soon as I began serving others (I started doing sound stuff for them last night) I really felt part of the 'body'.
Indeed Rebekah, life is good, for God is good.

Nathan said...

Ayyymen! You can say that again... Ayyymen! You can say-- OK, whatever. But yeah. He is so good. So great. Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His mercy endures forever. Yeah.

Hey, you're not as freckle-faced as you used to be, are you?

Crystal said...

This might sound silly but I find myself saying outloud to myself sometimes, "Life is interesting, life is good and I am grateful to have today." I find each day holds wonders, things to learn about myself and opportunities for serive that I never could have dreamed up and I find it exciting. But, having said that I certainly never presented it quite as well you did. Thank you!

All my best as you start school and I hope to get together with you soon to hear how its going!

Rebekah said...

Oh Crystal, I know exactly what you mean--you should see me sometimes, when I'm enjoying something immensely or experiencing some difficulty--"Life is good, life is good, life is good, GOOD!" In the latter situation stubbornly, almost desparately. But its always true, because God is good, and He proves it with His faithfulness when I look back at the end of each day.

We definately need to schedule a time to get together--I can't believe how busy I am now...and this isn't nearly as bad as it could be. Maybe you and Anna and I can have our "Phantom Night"?

CelloChic said...

AYyyyyyyYYYYYMMMMMEEeeeennnn!!!!!
Yes, God's goodness makes this life more than bearable...he makes it a thrill - an absolutely seriously joyful adventure!
The more I live life the more I love it. The very concept that God took inherently sinful men in a naturally dark world and gave him joy that's not dependent on situations, but keeps over flowing from our love for Christ. Where would our lives be apart from the Holy Spirit?!
deum semper laudate

Crystal said...

Yes Rebekah we do need to get together. What is your class schedule like so I can figure out a time that might work for me, around my work schedule. Next week I am free Monday as far as I know and then I am working Tues. and Weds. nights and then Thurs. I have free. That is my birthday and I think mom and I are thinking of going to lunch but I might be free in the evening. Then the following week I have no idea since I havent' gotten my schedule for Oct. yet. So let me know what you class schedule is and I am sure we can make something work in the next few weeks!

Mark said...

Thanks for those words bek. I couldn't agree more. I know I sometimes can act like I'm so balanced and have it all figured out. Indeed, if that were the case, there would be no falling down day after day, then no going to God for all my needs, and therefore no joy at His command to case all our care upon him.

hopeful said...

I tend not to notice and appreciate the goodness of God and the goodness of life as I ought. I don't mean to be ungrateful, but . . . oh, long story there. I won't go there, here.

Thanks for the reminder. :-)