Monday, October 10, 2005

Psalter Hymnal #394

Spirit of God, dwell thou within my heart;
Wean it from earth, through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as thou art,
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
No sudden rending of the veil of clay,
No angel visitant, no opening skies;
But take the dimness of my soul away.

Didst Thou not bid us love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own: soul, heart, and strength, and mind.
I see the cross--there teach my heart to cling;
O let me seek Thee and O let me find!

Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear;
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame--
The baptism of the heaven-descended Dove;
My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.

~George Croly, 1854

I would give almost anything to have been the author of this transcendant poem. I cannot help but feel that it was written for me exclusively--but then there are many about which I feel the same. Lord, "take the dimness of my soul away"! "Wean it [my heart] from earth...one holy passion filling all my frame...my heart an altar, and Thy love the flame"!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

that is a beautiful hymn. I haven't ever heard it so I don't know the tune but the words are nice. I like the last two paragraphs the best. Wonderful to see you tonight...sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you afterward. You all sort of dissapeared. I will try and catch up with you soon.

Joshua said...

The second to last stanza is something God has been teaching me and I've been finally paying attention these past couple days. Especially "To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh; Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer."
I need to stop boxing God in to my expectations and allow Him to work in His own way and timing. Hard stuff for a finite mind like mine.
Thanks Rebekah, it is indeed transcendent.

Kristi said...

That hymn (#77 in our hymnal :), is one of my very dearest. The words are profound and powerful. I am convicted, inspired, and encouraged every time I sing it.
Thanks so much for posting it.

Gloria said...

That was soooo touching. And Oh Rebekah dear Please email me and tell me your birthday. Please!

Rebekah said...

The deed is done. Indeed, at last the the thing has been accomplished. Rejoice, for you days of waiting are ceased. Go in peace Gloria dear.

CelloChic said...

Sang all the way...
I love this number too.
Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome hymn that is so rich and also one of my favorites. Thanks for putting it here!

Gloria said...

Thank You. I am now going in peace Beka dear. *laughing*