Thursday, December 08, 2005

Martin

Today I watched as young man carried out his tasks on the velvet lawn of a local
business.
In his hands he held a modern tool of convenience--a weed whip is what
they call it.
Meticulously, he trimmed around the edges of the grass, and as he
did so a strange thing occured.
No longer was the industrious young man grasping
the fuel-run machine.
It had quite simply transformed into the rustic-but-comely
form of a scythe.
The gardener was swinging its blade smoothly across the surface of the unruly ground.
The grass now had lost its unnaturally smooth finish, it grew with a look of greater wildness--yet still with an aura of civilization and dignity.
The man by now had changed considerably as well.
The hoody that had formerly ensconsed him was now replaced with a rough cotton shirt overlaid by a shabby overcoat.
He seemed to have aged approximately ten years, and yet his eyes appeared a good deal brighter, and more lively to be sure.
I have since decided that it must have been Martin.
His look was so very wholesome that you couldn't help liking him from the start. And that is just precisely how I always knew Martin would be.
So there you have it.
It certainly was him, and there is an end on it.

8 comments:

Mark said...

Martin,...uh huh...sounds like a nice guy!

Gloria said...

That was interesting Rebekah. I missed you last night. :(

Anonymous said...

I can't contain my curiosity! Read and reread the post many times... who is Martin? He's likeable, to be sure, but just how does he fit into December, 2005? Please do tell!

Mike said...

Confused

Joshua said...

Martin indeed? I should have thought from your description that it would be Andrew or Thomas, or possibly - depending on if there was a twinkle in his eye - Francis, but I'll admit that that would be highly unlikely.

I spoke briefly with Katherine a few days ago. She never spoke her name, but I am most assured that it is Katherine - with a K mind you.

Kristi said...

How are my shoes doing?
How dreadfully clumsy for me to convieniently run off with your shoes on my feet and leave you with no choice but to wear mine.
Do forgive me dear, and explain the situation to Martin while you're at it.

P.S. I think your feet are a tad smaller than mine.

Gloria said...

Just to repeat the question. Who is Martin?

Anonymous said...

ummmm, i'n confused