Monday, January 08, 2007

Grace

Through fog of fear and doubt
The Devil whispers, "Sin, sin, sin."
Standing outside the door of hope,
His taunts refuse to let me in.

"Go away!" my tortured spirit cries,
I remember sin of the past,
Tattooed on my soul like graffiti
Or a dirty word iron-cast.

Through fog of fear and doubt
The Spirit whispers, "Grace, grace, grace!"
I wonder why, and where, and how
But I dare not look up--exposing my dreadful face.

"How can it be?" I mutter through chapped lips.
No, my sin is too awful to be written off for free.
My soul shrinks back to count my good deeds:
Like pennies I count them hopefully.

Through fog of fear and doubt again
The Spirit whispers, "Grace, grace, grace!"
My dirty fingers grasp the last little copper
Then my pocket is empty of the last trace.

Pockets inside out, hands upraised
I try to grasp the door handle and enter
But the Devil says mocking,
"You're no better than me--despair forever!"

Through fog of fear and doubt yet again
The Spirit whispers, "Grace, grace, grace!"
I cry out in anguished, stubborn misery:
"I can't believe such a foolish grace!"

My mind is spinning like a child's top,
I'm trying desperately to comprehend
This foolish thing called grace.
"What fire has my brain for a friend!"

Through fog of fear and doubt
The Spirit whispers, "Grace, grace, grace!"
"You are dirty, but I will wash you--come as you are,
The Master delights to save in this very place."

A hand that is mine reaches up once more.
But the door is already open
I see myself as in a dream:
Expression screwed up, suspicious, like a wren.

Through fog of fear and doubt
My Master says, "Grace, grace, grace!"
"I have done it by grace,
Leave your pennies--lose them in my embrace."

A forgiven princess I stand:
Coronation robes surround me with grace for thread
Perfect obedience of the Master
Crowning my transformed head.

And the Spirit whispers, "Grace, grace, grace!"

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beks, that's masterful, m'dear! The emotion is clear and plain, and it's exactly like that, isn't it? Our hopefulness, our stubbornness, and God's grace.

Anonymous said...

Rebekah, That is a wonderful poem!

It is neat, because near the end you use the phrase "forgiven princess" and that is my email address!

It is so true, we are forgiven and totally covered by grace. Wow, what love!

Mike said...

Did you write that?

Rebekah said...

Sarah, I meant to ask you for permission to use that phrase actually. Your email was one of the elements that inspired me to write this. Thank you. :)

Absolutely--thanks Kat!

*ahem*

Michael--yes, indeed.

Note: If you don’t see the author cited at the end of any particular poem, then it is undoubtedly written by yours truly. I don’t plagiarize. :)

Gloria said...

That poem is perfect!! Could I print it up to keep?? Pretty Please.

Rebekah said...

Yes, you may. By submitting my writings here for general, and public consumption I am after all, exposing myself to such "printability." Be that as it may--thanks for asking. :)

Mark said...

Is peotry allowed to be that good?

Ruth said...

"I can't believe such a foolish grace!" So true, indeed! And yet He gives it freely. Thanks for that beautiful reminder, Beka.

Anna said...

You don't plagiarize huh?

What about "those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer". That is from a Nat King Cole song and you know it. And you didn't put it on there!! I am quite shocked!!!

You are right dear sis. I shall keep my phrase and see if I can put it into something. Thank you for the encouragement!

Love you!

Rebekah said...

What a fine compliment Mark--thank you.

You're welcome Ruth my dear. :)

Anna--I very clearly placed "Those lazy, hazy, crazy days of Summer" in quotation marks, thereby informing the general public that I was not the brilliant mind that created such a phrase. Since it is, as you have said, extracted from the song of a very well known, even legendary (if I may say so) singer, I have taken the license of leaving off the cite, thus assuming that most informed readers will understand my cultural reference. Quite legit I promise you.

Well I had to defend myself, what? :) BTW: keep working on that phrase--I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labors! Love you too. xo

Little Wolf said...

What a beautiful poem Rebekah! And what a beautiful message! It's beyond amazing to think of God's never ending love for each of us, and desire for us to come to him and be saved - just like a parent wanting their child to return. And just like a parent, God will love us no matter what, and wants us to find peace. Incredible! And you captured it on paper (or should I say "screens"??? :)
BTW, I looove your blog! I just made one myself, and I'm just obsessed with it! They're so much fun!
Love, (and thinkin' we should have coffee sometime! :) )
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Rebekah - can I copy and use your poem (with acknowledgement of course!)? I would love to show it to some girls here! - Beth in Germany

Rebekah said...

I'm flattered Beth--go for it! :)

I hereby authorized printability.

Rebekah said...

*authorize*