Monday, February 19, 2007

Presidents Day with Kylee

Today Kylee and I took a walk in the rain under the protection of two enormous black umbrellas. We sang "I know an old lady" the whole way and somehow we got from, "I know an old lady who swallowed a horse--she's dead of course," to, "I know an old lady who swallowed an umbrella..."

--Later--

"My stomach is grabbling," quoth Kylee and clutched her belly dramatically.

"Surely not," I replied and ran in the general direction of the kitchen, whereupon we made a sandwich shaped like an elephant.

--Later--

"What game shall we play?" said she, looking inquiringly into my face.

"I don't know," I said earnestly.

"Let's go in Grammie's room and fink," she said decidedly, and would have marched ceremoniously thence if she hadn't been waylaid by my capturing arms and hauled over my shoulder potatoe fashion. "Let's go in Grammie's room and fink," she repeated, confused. And I laughed. And she laughed too.

Note: Kylee and I have been saying, "I could eat a whole elephant," whenever we're hungry. Thus the pachyderm-shaped sandwich.

9 comments:

Gloria said...

Adorable.

Anonymous said...

The creative liberties that little kids take with the English language make for some silly fun expressions. So, I wonder whether the rain made for a funner day in the long run? I mean, umbrellas really are so cool and are obviously quite suitable for rhymes.

Rebekah said...

Hi Chris. Absolutely! The rain was certainly an added bonus, for who can resist the opportunity to utilize so charming a tool as an umbrella?

Anonymous said...

Indeed. Those who view these quaint but practical devices as necessary evils truely are missing out. Every auto ought to be equipped with at least one at all times.

Balvanz said...

Oh, how cute! =)

Crystal said...

she is so cute! I can almost hear her saying those things and it sounds like a positively lovely time. It is often one of the most wonderful things to just enjoy the moment with children. Glad you got to that that.

Anna said...

Is there a good reason why I have not received a letter back yet?? I shall be e-mailing you soon too. Look for it.

Rebekah said...

Yep. Finals. :)

Emmy said...

Hi Beka! We really need to do Woods again, been far to long my friend!