Monday, October 22, 2007

The work of my hands, Established c. 1987

Yesterday I spent two hours and a little more training for my new position as intern with Washington Eagle Forum. I know. The term "intern" is rather ambiguous. Let me enlighten you. I will be updating their database, which involves editing mailing lists, contact information etc. I also will be managing their website, posting new material, articles, and such. Its just a few hours a week, but frankly, I'm excited. And happy. I had been wondering if pizza was to swallow up my life in large mouth fulls till all that can be seen is pepperoni and bus tubs and grease.

Anyone who knows me would say that I'm not the type they would describe with the words "technical," "computer," or "database," anywhere in the diatribe. This being the case, I find it truly a manifestation of God's sovereignty that He would have me doing such uncharacteristic and unexpected work. In the past few weeks I have been meditating on Psalm 90. The very last two verses jumped out and kissed me on the nose.

"Let Your work appear to Your
servants,
And Your glory to their children.
And let the beauty of the Lord our
God be upon us,
And establish the work of our hands
for us;
Yes, establish the work of our hands."

I whispered those words at work over pizzas, I panted them out on my morning runs, I hummed them at home while I stirred simmering pots of soup, I sang them out as I stood at church with a hymnal in my hands. I want to say them forever: Let the beauty of the Lord be upon me, establish the work of my hands, oh establish the work of my hands. I am still wandering in the wilderness where He led me, but now suddenly the desert landscape seems to be blossoming with vitality and everywhere I look I am seeing the lines, curves, unmistakable prints of my Father's hands. His work has appeared in splendid colors of unimaginable vibrancy. Even pizza looks beautiful from where I stand, breathless at the view. And this is just the beginning.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Thanks beka...

I know those words well. I know how much of my work would come to nought, without faith that calls upon our Father with those words. And yet, he calls forth that faith from us somehow. I know how much I need those words right now.

Anna said...

And I know just how big a deal it is if something 'kisses you on the nose'! :)

I was studying for an exam when I read this. Thank you!

Missy said...

Beka,
I hope your job is going well. I pray the Lord continues to bless you in it.

Kristi said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEKA!!!!!!!
And thank-you so much for the coffee.
Really! It's preposterous that you payed when it was so nearly your birthday!