Thursday, March 03, 2005

opinionated little me...

Okay, after leaving a rather lengthy and adamant comment on my big bro's blog I decided that it was time for me to address such issues here, full blown on mine, instead of shooting out pathetically small little fireballs to gum up everyone else's. So here we are.

I can't understand people who insist that a person must be over eighteen in order to fully understand and take responsibility for crimes they have committed. How can this make sense? Do they really believe that a seventeen-year-old cannot understand his sins, but a few short months later, will understand completely and be responsible--simply because having turned eighteen, he is suddenly an "adult"?

Don't they remember being kids? Hello! Teenagers are not stupid. They know just as well as any human being, made in the image of God, the diffence between right and wrong. And its not just teenagers either. I believe that even an eight-year-old child who has wilfully murdered another human being should be subject to the same punishment as any other criminal.

I know kids. I make my daily bread caring for kids. (yes I'm a baby-sitter--I prefer the term "care giver" actually) I also love kids. They make life so much more wonderful. I'm an auntie five times over, and I like to make and maintain friendships with kids of all ages. I have never met one child who did not know that hitting is naughty, and who didn't know that he deserved to be punished for it. They all know--even down to the last two-year-old baby.

I'm a seventeen-year-old conservative--no, more than that--I'm a seventeen-year-old Christian, and you can believe me when I say that if I went out tonight and hacked someone to death, I pray that I would be executed for this terrible crime. This terrible sin.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm a seventeen-year-old conservative--no more than that--"

So is that all you are and ....no more!!??!!
Get it?

From Aunt Marilyn and Aunt Linda

Mark said...

Oh no! Aunts and Uncles are invading now...

Rebekah said...

Aaaaccccchhhhh!!!! Aunties have invaded, correcting grammar to beat the band!!! (That's okay, I need people to correct me.)

CelloChic said...

My, my, my. The Angel of Patience is talking about going out in the night and hacking people to death?
A good topic worthy of your gummy writing. :)
Yo Mama

Anonymous said...

I totally understand what your saying, even though I am a Canadian. But remember to be thankful that America still has the death penalty. Here in Canada, no matter what your age is, you get to live in prison on tax payers money. Hello?
Guess all of us "conservative" Canadians and Americans really have to pray hard for both of our countries - and be sure to vote!
-Your CANADIAN friend!