Friday, November 18, 2005

this little girl

"Toy land, toy land,
Little girl and boy land,
Once you cross its borders
You may never return again."

Today is my birthday. Today I am eighteen...and somehow, I am sad. But also glad. Now at last I am no longer play-acting. Could it be? Am I really grown up? I think I have been playing at woman-hood all my life--but I never knew it. Sweet sixteen is now so far away, so very long ago. Some voice within me speaks--whispering urgently to me, it says, "Stop, cherish, remember!" It tells me that now is the time. It is time to reflect, time to record. I must not forget--I must remember this day, this age, this feeling. For it will never return. It cannot. For all children must grow up--that is the tragedy of it...

...and the beauty.

8 comments:

Joshua said...

Don't.
Don't ever lose the joyfulness of childhood.
Don't ever stop frolicking in meadows.
Don't ever stop appreciating a brand new day.
Don't ever stop laughing at the mirth found in small things.
Don't ever stop being you.

But some things must change, so indeed, do cherish them.

Have a blessed year Rebekah.

Mike said...

A very very happy birthday to you. Although I might have already said that on Friday. Or maybe I didn't, Oh well I quess I'm just covering my bases. Soon I will join you in that uncertain bliss of 18, as I will be 18 as of a month and a half from now.

Gloria said...

I did tell you already. But have very, very happy birthday. I have lets see... one year and four months and 2 weeks and 2 days until I join you in being 18. But of course by then you will be 19. So I guess I won't be joining you... Oh Well!

Happy Birthday To You!
Happy Birthday To You!
Happy Birthday Dear Rebekah!
Happy Birthday To You!
(Picture me singing that to you)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Beka!Have a wonderful day!

Crystal said...

It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating your 16th birthday after Biblestudy. So much has happened since then! Though my wishes are a little late I hope 18 is a wonderful year for you and one that brings you closer to the Lord in more ways than you can imagine.
Hugs to you...

Gloria said...

Rebekah I have the pictures from soccer and your birthday. I'm going to try to email them to you next.

Nathan said...

I suppose it's too bad that I didn't think to stop and record what I was like at that age. But then, I rather think that I act worse in terms of crazy, stupid childishness now than I did then. Maybe it has been able to develop more fully since I moved away, on my own. Hmmm. Uh, is that a good thing or bad? Maybe it's because I've been alone alot more now than before, forcing me to talk/sing/yell/argue/explain/preach/make faces to myself instead of someone else. What could I do to better this situation regarding such an alarming example of human-ness as that "strange fellow," Nathan.

hopeful said...

Happy Birthday! I realize this is, shall we say, "a bit" late, but I just haven't been around for a while. :-)